Episode 59 ~ 18v Cordless Combi Drill Test II – Part 3: Final Result
For a handy chart which summarises some of the key performance features of the drills we tested, see http://skill-builder.uk/which-18v-drill-is-best.
The selection of drills was the manufacturers’ choice, not ours. We asked them to lend us the 18-volt drill or their choice. This is what they sent into battle.
Milwaukee M18 FPD
– More power – unmatched torque of 135 Nm.
– All metal reversible belt clip – hang your tool quickly and easily.
– Flexible battery system: works with all Milwaukee® M18™ batteries.
– More speed – delivers up to 2000 rpm.
– Smaller size – length of just 197 mm.
– Milwaukee® designed and built brushless POWERSTATE™ motor for up to 10x longer motor life and up to 60% more power.
– New REDLINK PLUS™ intelligence system delivers the most advanced digital overload protection for tool and battery and uniquely enhances the tool performance under load.
– REDLITHIUM-ION™ battery pack delivers up to 2.5x more run time, up to 20% more power, up to 2x more battery life and operates better down to -20°C than other lithium-ion technologies.
– Individual battery cell monitoring optimises tool run time and ensures long term pack durability.
– Battery fuel gauge displays remaining charge.
– Brightest LED workspace illumination.
Hitachi DV 18D
– Covered by Hitachi’s Lifetime Lithium Ion tool warranty and 2-year Lithium Ion battery warranty.
– Powered by Lithium Ion slide-type battery technology for fade free power, less weight and 3x the total battery life of traditional batteries.
– Industrial grade 2-piece motor with up to 814 in-lbs of torque to handle the toughest jobs.
– Single sleeve ratcheting 1/2″ metal keyless chuck with carbide jaw inserts for maximum bit grip and convenient swap-outs.
– 22-position clutch with drill and hammer drill modes for properly matching the torque to the application.
– Aluminum gear case for maximum durability and strength.
– Metal belt hook keeps the tool close at hand.
Bosch GSB 18 VE
– Newly developed auxiliary handle with wave profile and easy locking mechanism for fast mounting and dismantling and a secure fit.
– Extremely compact: very short head length (only 228 mm) for perfect handling.
– Electronic Motor Protection (EMP) protects the motor against overload and ensures a long lifetime.
– Innovative CoolPack batteries ensure optimum heat dissipation and therefore increase lifetime by up to 100% (cf. Li-Ion batteries without CoolPack).
– Bosch Electronic Cell Protection (ECP): protects the battery against overload, overheating and deep discharge
Integrated LED light for illuminating the work area, even in dark places.
– Extremely powerful: 85 Nm for the toughest screw driving and drilling applications in wood and metal, and impact drilling applications in masonry up to 16 mm.
– Extremely robust: Fully functional, even after falling 2 m onto concrete, due to flexible Durashield housing.
– Highly convenient: Perfect control over the tool thanks to innovative KickBack Control (KBC) – detects sudden jamming and shuts the tool down
DeWalt XRP DCD 995
– Latest generation 18V XR Li-Ion Brushless XRP hammer drill driver compatible with XR 5.0Ah Li-Ion battery technology (batteries sold separately).
– Tough 3 speed all metal transmission for increased runtime and longer tool life.
– Electronic Clutch with 11 position adjustable torque control for optimised precision when screwdriving.
– 13 mm ratcheting keyless chuck with automatic spindle lock for fast bit changes.
– Efficient intelligent trigger allowing total control over all applications.
– Foot LED with delay feature for improved visibility and flashlight functionality.
– Improved grip design providing greater application control and maximum comfort.
– Steel belt hook and magnetic bit holder ensure strong storage solutions.
– Part of the intelligent XR Lithium Ion Series designed for efficiency and making applications faster.
Metabo LTX BL
Festool 18 Quadrive
Panasonic 14.4 /18 volt
Makita DHP 481
In the third and final part of our 18v drill roundup, we look at drilling with auger, forstner and masonry bits and give you the final verdict.
You can support us by buying your drills at: http://skill-builder.uk/shop/18v-drill-prices
Don’t forget to stay up to date with Skill Builder!
Join our mailing list – http://skill-builder.uk/join
Visit our website – http://skill-builder.uk
See our Tweets – https://twitter.com/skillbuilderuk
See our Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/skillbuilderchannel
See our Pins – https://www.pinterest.com/skillbuilder1